Trinidad & Tobago Red Cross Society in partnership with the Ministry of Rural Development & Local Government presents its first Virtual Community Emergency Response Team (CERT) Training Programme. If you and your family are ready to support your community to becoming more resilient, take the first step in getting trained to voluntarily respond to disasters and emergencies. Our national CERT Programme has been actively training communities to take ownership of their disaster situations until professional help arrives. CERT training provides valuable skills individuals and families can use to protect themselves, and the wider community in times of crisis, saving lives and protecting the environment. – In order to join the over three thousand plus CERT Volunteers across Trinidad, you and your family can sign up for this FREE unique virtual training programme.
What you will learn:
- Types of hazards most likely to affect your homes and communities
- The function of CERT and your role in immediate response
- How to prepare you and your neighbours for a disaster
- Identify and reduce potential fire hazards in your homes and workplaces
- Work as a team to apply basic fire suppression to extinguish small fires
- How to use basic first aid for various injuries
- How to apply techniques for opening airways, controlling bleeding, and treating shock
- How to conduct triage, perform head-to-toe assessments, and to set up a treatment area
- Identify planning and size-up requirements for potential search and rescue situations
- Common techniques for searching a structure
- Safe techniques for debris removal and victim extrication
- Ways to protect rescuers during search and rescue
- Proper way to build a sandbag wall
The CERT training will be delivered in eight (8) 2 to 3-hour virtual sessions.
- Saturday 17th October 2020 – 9:00am to 11:00am – Disaster Preparedness
- Saturday 17th October 2020 – 1:00pm to 3:00pm – Fire Safety
- Sunday 18th October 2020 – 9am to 11:30am – Disaster Med. Ops (Triage)
- Sunday 18th October 2020 – 1:00pm to 4:00pm – Disaster Med. Ops (Treatment)
- Saturday 24th October 2020 – 9:00am to 11:30am – Team Organization
- Saturday 24th October 2020 – 1:00pm to 4:00pm – Light Search and Rescue
- Sunday 25th October 2020 – 9:00am to 11:00am – Disaster Psychology
- Sunday 25th October 2020 – 1:00pm to 3:00pm – CERT & Terrorism
Final Exam – Upon completion of the training modules, you will be given a link to access the final examination. In addition, you will experience a live CERT Simulation that will bring together all the training elements, and skills. It is meant to solidify your understanding of how CERTs function in disaster response. The date is to be confirmed for the virtual CERT Simulation.
How to participate:
The ideal candidate for participation in the Virtual CERT Training Programme will be:
- Families who are committed to provide voluntary service by responding to disasters and emergencies. Due to the nature of this virtual training persons desirous of participating must have at least a household size of three in order to have close contacts to practice the skills learnt.
- Of good physical fitness and capable to participating in the skill sessions
- Willing to lead and be led.
- A good communicator
- A role model in their community and share disaster preparedness information
PREREQUISITE: (Step 1)
All participants will be required to complete a free online short course from the United States FEMA Emergency Management Institute – Independent Study Programme, IS-317.A: Introduction to Community Emergency Response Team (CERTs). Time commitment is 2 hours.
To sign up for this course you have three steps:
- Register for a FEMA Student Identification Number (use the link below): https://cdp.dhs.gov/femasid/register
- Register for IS-317.A course here (click “Interactive Web Based Course” to start the course) https://training.fema.gov/is/courseoverview.aspx?code=IS-317.a
- Once you complete the course, you will be taken to a link for the Final Exam. Here you will need your FEMA SID. The Final Exam can also be accessed here: https://training.fema.gov/is/sidpiv.aspx?eid=IS317a
Once you complete the Final Exam, and pass, you will be emailed a Certificate. You will be required to email your certificate to email@example.com before you complete Step 2. Please ensure you rename the pdf file (certificate) to your full name.
COMPLETE PRE-REGISTRATION FORM: (Step 2)
Use the link below to complete the pre-registration form.
Deadline for submission is Monday 12th October 2020, 4:00pm.
ZOOM REGISTRATION: (Step 3)
On Wednesday 14th October 2020, you will receive an email from firstname.lastname@example.org to complete a short Zoom Registration. Upon completion of this registration you will receive links to all the sessions as well as further instructions and materials you may need.